Sunday, March 28, 2010

Happy Birthday Tessa!

Tessa turned one on March 26th. Over this last week, I had been replaying her birth story though my head over and over and over. In the week leading up to her birth, we experienced a few minor complications. Tess was always kicking and squirming while she was in my stomach. During the course of that week she really wasn't moving much. The doctor asked that I come in to be monitored, and to find out what was going on. After being monitored and having several ultrasounds, they found that there wasn't much amniotic fluid, which explained Tess not moving as much. On Wednesday the 25th we went to see Dr. Wall, a perinatologist, in Bellevue. He decided that Tess would be much healthier outside of "mom's stomach". We were told that we were going to be induced at 11:00pm that night. Tim and I spent our, last baby free, evening with friends eating dinner. We came home, packed, and just waited. We were way too wired to sleep or even just relax. A nurse from the hospital called and told us that our room was available early. So, being the patient people we are (yeah right...I'm the least patient person I know) we threw are bags in the car and headed up to Overlake to have our little girl. I was started on pitocin at about 2:00am or so. I didn't really start contracting until my Dr. came in at 8:00am Thursday morning and broke my water. I received my epidural about mid morning. By 3:30pm I was dilated to 6cm. To my surprise, a half hour later, I was at 10cm and ready to push. I pushed for about an hour and half, and we welcomed Tessa Mackenzie Bryan into the world at 6:31pm on March 26th of 2009. I have to admit that the labor was the best part of my whole pregnancy. I would do that part all over again in a heartbeat. Being so sick for my entire pregnancy is a whole other story.

This last year Tim and I have learned SO much and have grown so incredibly close. I can speak for both of us when I say that raising a child is one of the most challenging, yet rewarding things we've ever done. God has blessed us in so many ways this last year! Words can't even begin to describe how very thankful we are for our little girl and each other. It has been such a joy to watch Tim and Tess together. She's definitely a daddy's girl. He is an amazing dad with an overflowing love for his two ladies. Tim and Tess have their special daddy/daughter time every night. Tim feeds her, rocks her, and prays with her. As a mom, it fills my heart with warmth to see them bonding together like this.

Being the type "A" personalities we are, we have definitely had to do some readjusting. Being a parent has also taught us that you can't plan for everything, and sometimes it's better to just go with the flow.

We celebrated Tessa's birthday last weekend with family and friends. We are so thankful to have such a wonderful support system in raising our little girl.

Here's to one of the best years of our life with many more to follow!!!